Dallas 2019 Agenda
Bring your entire team to take advantage of multiple conference tracks onÂ Wind Operations,Â Maintenance,Â Technical,Â Component Training,Â Asset ManagementÂ &Â Energy Storage
If you have any questions or would like to be considered as a speaker, panelist, chairman or roundtable facilitator, get in touch with Ben Moss, the conference director on +1800 814 3459 x7537Â (US) or +44 (0) 207 375 7537Â (Global) or e-mailÂ firstname.lastname@example.org
Click the below tick boxes based on your interests
The below boxes will filter the agenda based on what topics you are interested in seeing at the event.
- Select All
- HEADLINE SESSIONS
- Operations and Asset Management: Headline Sessions
- Services Strategy and Optimization
- End of Life: Extend Asset Life or Repower?
- NEW FOR 2019: Workforce Development
- NEW FOR 2019: Supply Chain & Logistics
- NEW FOR 2019: Energy Storage
- Components Technical Agenda - Blades
- Components Technical Agenda - Gearboxes & Maintenance Strategies
- Components Technical Agenda - BOP
Welcome from the Organizers & Chairmanâs Introduction
U.S. Renewables O&M Market Outlook & Opportunities
- Hear the latest forecasts for U.S. renewables capacity
- Explore how increased U.S. wind and solar capacity will impact O&M strategies in the next 5 years
- Find out how digital technology, digitization and adoption rates are affecting industry growth & O&M strategies
- Discuss benchmark your assets against average turbine & component failure rates and national reliability assessments
Rafael McDonald, Director, North American Renewable Power, IHS Markit
Executive Asset Owner Panel: Wind & Solar Operational Optimization
- Hear from key utilities, asset owners and IPPs on their operational goals for wind and solar assets
- Assess the vast operational successes/ gains made nationwide and lessons learned along the way
- Identify any pain points in existing operational delivery from the top and where optimization is most needed
- Explore executive-level insights in to optimization strategies to address those pain point, plus input from the audience
Jorge Villalobos, General Manager of Operations (Wind/Solar), Shell New Energies
Gerrud Wallaert, Senior Vice President Engineering, E.ON
Jason Allen, Chief Operations Officer, Leeward Renewable Energy
Jeff Wehner, Vice President Renewables, Duke Energy Corporation
Chris Eugster, Chief Operations Officer, CPS Energy
Executive OEM Panel: Perspectives of an Evolving Renewables Industry
Wind turbine OEMs discuss:
- How they are delivering new client solutions that venture outside of the typical scope of supply for major wind turbine OEMS
- What this evolution will mean for the Wind O&M community, contract/warranty costs and available long-term services
- OEM component supply strategies
Multi Stakeholder Panel: High-Level Budget Prioritization Across Wind Assets
- Establishing a clear and standardized contingency plan for unplanned major component failures
- Getting buy in from the field to âdo more with lessâ
- Investment in the latest technologies for leaner O&M teams, remote inspection and predictive maintenance
Dana Herrera, General Manager - Asset Management, Shell New Energies
David Smith, Director, Asset Management Asia & North America, BlackRock
John Gibson, Vice President of Operations, Goldwind
[Moderator] Dan Shreve, Partner, MAKE Consulting
NEW FOR 2019: Technology Innovation Showcase
- In this session weâll showcase the latest and greatest in technology innovations across wind O&M. Youâll hear quick-fire TED talk style presentations from start-up companies outlining their technology and how it will shake up the industry!
- Our specialist judging panel will then provide feedback based off the pitches, offering insight into what they liked and what theyâd like to see improved
- Offer your feedback too through our interactive Q&A app sli.do, where weâll be polling and showing your feedback to the whole audience!
Ian MacRobbie, VP Operations, Liberty Power
Matthew Burt, Managing Director, Operations, Excelsior Energy Capital
Gareth Brown, CEO, Clir Renewables Inc.
4 more spaces to allocate... Contact Ben Moss at email@example.com if you would be interested in pitching here. Please note this session is designed for start-up companies!
The Good, the Bad & the Ugly in Energy News in the Last 2 Years: Where Does Renewables Sit?
In this presentation, Bob Hemphill will utilize his nearly 40 years in the energy business, 14 years of which he spent exclusively in renewable energy. Bob will take us on a journey of news, disasters and projects which are positively and negatively impacting the energy business, and the environment. Including but not exclusive to:
- Solar and steel tariffs
- The continued construction of the GA power nuclear plant
- The heartening decline of auction prices for wind and solar
- Coal plant shutdowns
- US progress on GHG emissions
Bob Hemphill, Founder and CEO, Sunshine Soldiers & Former CEO, AES Solar Energy Ltd.
Operations and Asset Management: Headline Sessions
Multi-Stakeholder Panel: Turbine Advancement Implications for O&M and Asset Management
- Understand the implications of increasing wind turbine quality and size on production, maintenance and asset management decision making
- Get to grips with the effect larger blades and towers have in creating infrastructure and logistical chokepoints, leading to development and operations challenges
- Learn from owner/operator, OEM and supply chain use case studies that will ensure you can increase production without simultaneously increasing risk and downtime
Joerg Beland, Vice President - Operations, BayWa r.e. Wind, LLC
Remote Operations Centers & Teams: The Future of Lean, Profitable Wind O&M?
- Explore the multiple location monitoring benefits and considerations through ROCs for your wind farms
- Bridge the skilled labor gap - are ROCs (and the teams or workers themselves) the solution or a pipe dream?
- Learn how ROC teams are streamlining workflows and optimizing efficiency with user-friendly technologies
- Discuss the âday in the life ofâ an ROC and the sheer magnitude of these operations
- Hear from operators on how ROCs have positively impacted their bottom lines
Judah Moseson, Director, Business Development, Harvest Energy Services
Brad Purtell, Director Services Business Development (Former Director, Wind Operations Support), Invenergy
Scott Elliot, Wind Asset Manager, PGE
Long Term Risk Management & Insurance
- Learn to more accurately quantify unforeseen generation losses due to plant downtime and examine the range of risk transfer opportunities available when self-performing
- Leverage exclusive insurer perspectives to explore the critical doâs and donâts of long term resource risk and its potential impact on your portfolio
Jatin Sharma, President, GCube
Are you a Mickey Mouse Business?
Hear how other industries have effectively managed their assets and understand how learning from them can be positive in order to refine your asset management strategy.Â
Lee Faulkner, Senior Director of Operations, US, Innogy Renewables
Services Strategy and Optimization
The Art of Successful Self-Performance: Asset Owner Lessons Learned
- Lessons-learned and key challenges overcome in the transition to self-perform - What worked and what didnât
- The required O&M infrastructural investments prior to operation
- Data and documentation collection and analysis requirements for successful O&M
- Developing a water-tight supplier network and secondary services
Wesley Childers, Wind Farm Site Supervisor, E.ON Climate & Renewables
Carsten Anderson, CEO, Danish Wind Power Academy Americas
Self-Performance Lessons Learned: Getting Buy-In from Your Financial Stakeholders
- Understand the needs and objectives of owners and lenders in self-performance
- Develop a strategy and pitch that speaks âlenderâ, in their language
- Hear from early self-performers and their lenders on the challenges faced when determining if the numbers add up
David Braun, President, GlidePath Asset Management
Optimizing Service Solutions
- Unlock opportunities from expiring OEM warranty contracts by seeking alternative solutions
- Understand how to best optimize contracts for optimal maintenance cost efficiency
- Utilize historical data to ensure contracts are relevant to your asset
End of Life: Extend Asset Life or Repower?
WORKSHOP: End of Life Use Case Studies
- Weigh up the benefits, risks and costs that come with various end of life decisions
- Understand how mastering O&M now can lead to a smoother transition into life extension, reducing costs and downtime
- Hear use-case study expertise in end of life decision making and execution from key stakeholders in the process
Full Repower Vs Partial Repower Considerations
- Explore the benefits of partial repowering for reduced cost - optimized production life extension
- Hear from experts on when it is appropriate to partially repower
- Discuss the revenue possibilities with a full repower against partial repower, and calculate your potential ROI
- Hear considerations and lessons learned regarding commissioning, startup and thorough checks of reused equipment for partial repower projects
Life Extension: An Alternative to Repowering
Where incentives for wind power have fallen, repowering has become less attractive, prompting a wave of interest in life extension. Our speakers will discuss.
- How you can extract the maximum value of your aging fleet with life extension strategies at 1/10 of the cost of repowering per MW
- The benefits of life extension for reduced LCEO and increased project revenue
- Taking advantage of less challenging planning and regulatory approvals with life extension
- Lower investment costs versus potentially increased O&M costs - does it balance out?
Rob Jozwiak, Director, Power Operations US, Enbridge
2019 Digitization Landscape for the U.S. Wind & Solar Industries: Culture, Complexity & Cybersecurity
- Assess what digitization means for the U.S. renewables industry, based on European market & out-of-industry assessments
- Find out how you can unlock the renewable energy industryâs full potential with digital
- Hear how key stakeholders are optimizing operational gains with Big Data analytics + going beyond data
- Take a digital reality check
Shawn Lamb, CEO - US Operations, Danish Wind Power Academy Americas
AI Best Practices for Autonomous Inspection
- Get to grips with how AI-based inspection reporting improves your bottom line
- Understand why better data leads to better maintenance practices from the perspective of the owner and the vendor
- Assess key factors in evaluating AI and assistive technology
Where is the ROI for owner/operators? Data analytics vs. management
- Definition - What is the proper definition between data âanalyticsâ and managementâ?
- Speed - In what timeframes, do you expect to see results from hired analytics providers vs. your own internal resources?
- Challenge - What are the biggest challenges and hurdles faced when creating and deploying analytics/management systems?
- ROI - with such a hot market for services, what are you looking for right now from solutions? Are you achieving what you hoped? If not, why not?
Real Time Asset Control, Data Collection, & Reporting for GADS Performance Reporting
This presentation overviews methods and algorithms designed to both control, and report wind turbine downtime and underperformance to the North American (GADS) standard. Focus will be placed on the procedures behind normalizing data from all original equipment manufacturers (OEMs) to a unified GADS standard, as well as procedures required to audit and shadow edit availability from turbine alarms.
Brad Johnson, Lead Solutions Architect, Bazefield Americas
NEW FOR 2019: Workforce Development
Workforce Development Workshop
The wind industry has so far generated 105,000 jobs for people in the USA, wind turbine technician is one of two fastest growing jobs in the USA. In this workshop you will learn, network and develop workforce development strategies that will ensure you hire, train and retain top talent in the years to come.Â
- Training and Development: Understand what training is required to ensure your employees remain safe and efficient in the workplace. Get to grips with the different training suppliers that you can work with on this.
- Retention: Understand key push factors that are causing talented wind technicians to leave the industry and take-away key use-case studies from HR and management that have successfully led to the retention of talent in an organization.
- Recruitment: Understand how you can work with companies to ensure you are sourcing the best new talent as the industry grows at a staggering rate.
Shawn Lamb, CEO - US Operations, Danish Wind Power Academy Americas
Tactical Safety Cultures: Thriving in the Grey
Presentation details coming soon...
John Boyle, Health & Safety Manager, APEX Clean Energy
Standardized Training for the Industry and its Benefits
- Understand how standardized training for the industry has led to improved safety standards, more efficient training practices, improved productivity and increased profits.
NEW FOR 2019: Supply Chain & Logistics
Supply Chain Workshop Session
In this interactive workshop session you will understand challenges and opportunities in the wind turbine supply chain. Owners, OEMs and supply chain & logistics companies will offer use case study examples in how they have overcome logistical headaches in an evolving industry.
- Understand todayâs disruption: Get to grips with the disruption facing the supply chain today such as steel tariffs increasing prices and potential supply chain bottlenecks in the future.
- Future challenges: Understand how improvements in wind turbine technology can lead to larger and more complex component parts that cause incredible strain on the supply chain. Get to grips with how the key stakeholders are overcoming chokepoints in the industry to ensure low costs and speedy delivery.
- Opportunities for growth and cost reduction: What new technologies, such as IoT, can be leveraged to ensure that the wind turbine supply chain runs smoothly and at a lower price? Weâll outline these and how they can be implemented in practice.
Blade Transportation Challenges and Solutions
- Longer blades mean a more difficult transportation process, manufacturers and developers have now got to balance up whether to split the blade into multiple parts or to transport as a whole
- Understand how transporting in multiple parts can increase risk of failures and increased maintenance costs
- Understand how transporting as a whole can incur greater costs on the road, but increases reliability and reduces maintenance costs and risk
Using data as part of the wind turbine supply chain
- Understand the latest in blockchain, IoT, AI and much more in the supply chain processÂ
- Find out how to leverage these technologies to optimize inventory, visibility and collaboration tools to improve supplier performance, and make use of the automation of processes to reduce stock levels, costs and issues with supply.
NEW FOR 2019: Energy Storage
Energy Storage for Renewables Overview - Whatâs in it For Me?
- Understand the evolving renewables marketâs increasing need for storage
- Understand the different types of energy storage technologies available and their applications (energy vs power)
- Find out âwhatâs in it for meâ across technical, corporate and commercial O&M roles and how this may affect day-to-day operations and budgets
- Assess the cost of storage projects, transmission lines and operational application
- Explore the top challenges being met and overcome by energy storage early adopters both in the office and the field
Caleb Waugh, Head of Analytics - Energy Storage, Lockheed Martin Energy
Case Study: E.ONâs Texas Energy Storage Projects
- Hear E.ONâs motivations behind their Texas energy storage investments
- Gain critical lessons learned from an early adopter
Andrea Bianco, Director, Energy Storage Technology Solution, E.ON Climate & Renewables
Energy Storage: Understanding Asset Owner/Operator Needs
- Hear how wind & storage and solar & storage fit in to key utility, IPP and asset owner short- and long-term plans
- Hear asset owner views on the main challenges impeding battery storage adoption
- Assess the different paths solar + storage and wind + storage are taking currently
- Understand in the field O&M needs and implications in relation to energy storage implementation
Case Study: Invenergy LLC Battery Operations & Maintenance
- Reality check on the storage âbuzzwordâ - learn which applications it is best suited to
- With a sophisticated, stable U.S. grid, explore where storage is needed most
- Hear from and meet top:
- Systems integrators, Turnkey storage solution providers, Storage element suppliers (battery, inverter, containment)
Kaitlyn Howling, Storage Engineer, Invenergy
A Blue Skies Energy Storage Future: Asking âWhatâs Next?â
- Lithium-ion is the undisputed king of energy storage... currently. Who might emerge as its challenger?
- Assess whether Solar will always dominate the energy storage market over Wind
- A look at what Wind and Solar asset owners may need to do to ready themselves for wind + storage domination
Dan Shreve, Partner, Wood Mackenzie Power & Renewables
Energy Storage 101 Workshop
- This session is designed to equip you with the information necessary to decide on battery storage implementation. Share insights/concerns with key stakeholders in the industry and understand which technologies are most applicable to you
- Understand use case study examples from battery storage owners, developers and operators and how you can build a viable business model around this
- Be joined by peers from the solar PV industry (from the co-located Solar PV O&M Dallas conference) who will add even more expertise to this interactive session
Moderator: Frank Jakob, Technology Manager, Energy Storage, Black & Veatch
Components Technical Agenda - Blades
CASE STUDY: Leeward Energyâs Lessons Learned in Maintenance
- Presentation details coming soon...
Troy Ryan, Director of Operations, Leeward Energy
US R&D for the Next Gen in Extreme-Scale Wind Turbine Rotors
- RDOE A2e research program and potential for reducing windâLCOE by half
- A2e science-based research to enable next generation extreme-scale wind turbine rotors (advanced physics, computational modeling, supercomputing, etc.)
- DOE engineering research to enable next generation extreme-scale wind turbine rotors (multi-disciplinary design, advanced manufacturing, adaptive rotors)
Manufacturers Share Strategies for Improved Blade Quality & Lower Cost O&M
- Hear the latest in manufacturing advancements to improve blade quality, reliability
- Learn about the potential for failsafe manufacturing and new automated processes
- Assess how these innovations could dramatically improve your O&M bottom line and asset management capabilities
[MODERATOR] Rob Jozwiak, Director, Power Operations US, Enbridge
Advances in Materials to Improve Blade Reliability & Cost Function
- Understand how increasing lengths of blades to improve production leads to a higher maintenance costs and increased risk of failure
- Get to grips with the latest in composites technology that will ensure longer blades does not mean longer downtime
- Hear use case studies from site technical staff and the supply chain in how best to utilize new composites to prevent potential losses in revenue
Blades ROUNDTABLES: Investment & Application Lessons-Learned for Blade Upgrades
- Assess the latest upgrade opportunities
- Assessing durability, reliability & damage tolerance for new rotor designs
- Assessing ultra-long wind turbine blades for next-gen turbines
- Hear tangible evidence of improved turbine production with blade enhancements
- Explore upgrade pain-points and lessons learned from OEMs and Operators
- Learn how you can mitigate defects and failures
Components Technical Agenda - Gearboxes & Maintenance Strategies
Predictive Maintenance in Action: Optimizing O&M Performance
- Interpreting high level maintenance recommendations
- Reducing waste from unnecessary maintenance interventions
- Systems for analysing performance and cost savings
Condition Monitoring & Fault Diagnosis in Wind Energy Systems
- Methods for advanced wind turbine condition monitoring and early diagnosis
- How to assess the reliability of your condition monitoring and improve fault diagnosis techniques
- Herald the detection of wind turbine electromechanical faults via effective power analysis
TCM Diagnostics and Prognostics Merging the Worlds
- Learn how to be agile and build your businesses proficiency with multi turbine platforms
- Explores efforts to partner with self-performers to remain relevant in a changing world
- Review critical case studies that demonstrate clearly the value and actionability of condition monitoring data
Jeff Walkup, VP Operations & Sales, Gram & Juhl North America
NGC smart gearbox
- NGC's integrated data collection and analysis platform for wind turbine gearboxes accurately predicts potential problems in their infancy, allowing users to minimize operational costs and efficiently manage downtime
- NGC's extensive experience designing, manufacturing, and servicing wind gearboxes has provided us with the knowledge needed to extrapolate necessary action from data quickly and accurately. This focus will reduce product repair costs and allow product end users to maintain higher turbine availability and productivity. Our goal is for product end users to feel the economic benefits of âzeroâ spare parts inventory without impact to generation availability
- NGCâs new service model, driven by mobile technology, will allow customers direct access to our service system, improving response time and providing the highest quality service experience
Johnny He, Enterprise Manager and Interim Operation Manager, NGC Transmission Equipment (America), Inc.
Case Study: Preventing Gearbox Damage from Dangerous Loads
- Learn how a pre-loaded main bearing can shield against incoming axial loads
- Understand the advantages of a torque limiting device
- Find out how innovative gearbox bearing designs can protect your gearbox
Brian Ray, Chief Engineer, Timken
Components Technical Agenda - BOP
Achieving Successful BOP: Owner Troubleshooting Strategies
- Panel overview to come...
Judah Moseson, Director, Business Development, Harvest Energy Services
Max Meyer, BOP Site Supervisor, South Plains Wind Energy, E.ON
Oil Sampling: Taking Swift Action
- Understand how to properly identify the cause of poor test results and most importantly action this in internal repairs and/or oil replacement
- Get to grips with the risks associated with slow oil sample reaction times and how this can cause accidents and damage production
- Learn about new techniques and methods that can be used in order to alleviate risks associated with poor oil sample results
Refining Inspection Techniques in BOP
- Weigh up the costs and benefits of above ground vs below ground MV circuits
- Understand how proper use of IR cameras can easily identify loose or damaged connections and any potential safety risks in the substation
- Hear from owners and specialist 3rd party providers who will discuss use-case examples of how they have successfully refined their inspection techniques